Thursday, April 10, 2008

A Global Crisis?

I will introduce you to my thoughts on our new global warming crisis.

I am what some might call a flat-earther. When I think of a crisis, I think of bombs exploding, children crying, a city on fire, and people running hysterically. So, when I am having a picnic at the park on a sunny afternoon I ask myself; are we in the midst of a crisis? My mother always told me to listen carefully, but remain skeptical, and I am not fully convinced we are in a crisis. Listen, I believe that pollution harms the environment, and CO2 harms the atmosphere, but I do not believe that Americans should punish themselves for polluting with a tax. I actually think that is the worst thing we can do, because without the pollution America has contributed to the atmostphere, then we wouldn't be where we are today. We would not have what we got today. Your life comforts would not exist.
What is taken from this global warming phenomenon is new material for the advertisers to jump on. Rightly so, just like how we created pollution lets use the same method to reverse it. How? The open market. It is true that pollution has impacted our world since the industrial revolution. But like I said, without those advancements, we would not be the world power we are today. Companies now have a new platform to provide goods and services that will not only benefit the environment, but revitalize the economy, and reverse pollution. We must trust our companies to produce environmental friendly goods, and let those goods saturate the market. I believe this is inevitable. It is not the government role to punish its' citizens with carbon taxes, and it's not the role for people to blame other people who don't oblige.
Common sense says that pollution is bad, and recycling is good. So to call people who don't buy in to the global warming bandwagon "flat-earthers" is irresponsible. Let the companies transition (it is happening before your eyes), and do the moral duty of recycling your trash. Now, please cut the phase "Global Warming crisis" because it is not crisis. No one is dying.

No comments: